Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Module 5

In all honesty, I knew almost no online e-book sources. Actually, I might not have known any at all. When I was really young, probably in elementary school, I got a “leap pad” for a present, and that’s not as much as an e-book as it is a really high tech book that speaks to you (which I guess is an e-book…). Then when I was in high school, my mom got a Kindle and I immediately stole it from her (and then misplaced it, sorry, mom…), which I really liked, but I always preferred the hard cover/paperback book. Reading this chapter, I was really impressed and amazed at all the different resources for e-books that are both for young children and young adults. It amazes me that there is so much out there and that it remains relatively unknown to a lot of people, especially kids, which is who it is mainly marketed towards.
                Some of the concerns of the e-books actually weren’t concerns that I even thought about. The text brought up that e-books with a lot of interactive tools can often take away from the literacy learning of the text itself and distracts young readers. I definitely agree with that, but I think that it is a good way to get younger kids introduced to e-books as a fun, recreational thing, obviously not to be used all the time, but as a gateway to more complex texts that the internet has to offer.

Again, I think that the hyperlinks embedded into the text are very helpful for kids, as well as informative and fun. Not only can they direct children to the definition of a confusing word, but it can also link children to more information of a certain topic that a text brings up, it could be historical, mythological, or cultural, and give a child a little more insight to the topic and incentive to look further into it. I think that this is probably the most important attribute to e-books that regular text does not have, other than the fact that e-books are easier to access and often free, while paper books are not. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth,
    I really enjoyed reading your post today. I also tend to like paperback books more, but I think that is because it is what I grew up with. I think this generation is so involved with technology that reading on ebooks is exciting and engaging to them. I also didn't realize the concerns about ebooks, how some can actually be more distracting than helpful. That bit of information can really help me when I allow my children online to use these programs. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth,
    I am with you on how I did not know online e-book sources. Personally, I prefer an actual textbook as opposed to a book online. I think if you read a book on a kindle it is probably different but one semester I used my computer to access the book. I didn't prefer it.

    ReplyDelete